Summary of 2019 (Part 2)


After Copenhagen Marathon I managed to see a fair bit of the city riding around on a pay as you go scooter - an essential bit of kit after 26.2 miles. The winner ran the fastest marathon time ever on Danish soil. As this race is in May, it gives runners a longer build up through the Spring to target a race later in the season. Its also logistically easier than one of the major marathons, plus the climate isn't too hot. It was creeping to 22 degrees towards the end of my race though.

Post Marathon, I spent a few weeks swimming, walking, cycling and light running to fully recover before the process started all over again.

London 5km
I went into the summer with wins at Fairford 10km and Frome Half Marathon. I did long warm up/cool downs at these races to build up to an 18 mile training run. In July I raced in London as part of the RAF team at the Standard Chartered 5km race - a mid-week evening event full of corporate teams. The first few kms flew by and I found myself in a group of 5 runners as we twisted around the streets near the Royal Artillery Barracks. I was feeling strong and at 4km I pulled away from England Marathon runner Henry Pearce and held my lead into a headwind up to the finish line. The RAF team ran very well, all finishing in the top 10. I think I got about £400 worth of New Balance prizes from my win and the team win combined.


A local event at Cardiff 10km saw me place 10th in just under 31 min. I went off too fast in this high class field and paid for it in the closing stages.

Great North Run
This year was my first entry into the Great North Run due to receiving Elite entry. This was a great event on a crisp and sunny autumn day. I warmed up in an area separate from the masses alongside Mo Farah and Callum Hawkins. However, after the gun went I didn't see them again! I hadn't been feeling well going into this race but ran ok in the end. The rolling hills in the later stages drained my legs, but I still finished strong in front of the large cheering crowd at South Shields. I finished in 67.25 and was the 9th British finisher.


UKAF Team at Nato 10km, Budapest
My marathon build up was for the Frankfurt Marathon towards the end of October. Before this I had a 2 week holiday in Japan. I got a good insight into the Japanese running culture but in retrospect it probably wasn't the best build up. It was way too hot and humid, I didn't really get on with the food, and as a result my training suffered. Then, the day before I was due to return to the UK, Typhoon Hagabis hit. I was left stranded and arrived home later than expected.
Three days after arriving home I traveled to Budapest for the Nato 10km with the UKAF - a race that I was already committed to and was being hosted by the Hungarian military. They were great hosts and provided a formal meal for all the European military nations in attendance, presenting us with gifts. This is an annual event that I would highly recommend. The race route took us alongside the river Danube. I knew by 5km it was not my day, feeling the effects of jet lag and travelling. I finished a respectable 5th in 31.25. Only one week back at work though to recover for the Frankfurt Marathon.


Last Part of 2019 to follow. Includes working as a Force Development Instructor, Frankfurt Marathon and lab testing.




Comments