Work & Rest (HR variability, muscle pliability)

As runners when we start running well we become greedy. We want to run more PBs, hit those training sessions and up the mileage. After running 3 PBs on 3 weekends in a row, plus long training runs of 20 miles, my body said it needed a rest. I got a hamstring strain which came on during some intervals and I stopped straight away. After 2 days rest I went for an easy run and had to stop after 6 miles as the hamstring was too tight and preventing me from running. I am fortunate that my wife has a degree in physiotherapy, so was soon able to identify the problem and treat it.

Unfortunately, I had to pull out of the Inter-Services XC at the last minute. However, it was great to watch the RAF team race on a muddy course at Gibraltar Barracks, hosted by the Army. The under 23s team were away first in the cold, sunny weather and won the team prize. This was followed up by a vet team win and the senior mens team winning by one point. I was watching with envy, but the performance only fuelled my motivation to get back to full fitness in time for the IS half marathon in March (fleet).

I'm a big advocate of making your easy days very easy. Running by feel, maybe 7.30 to 8.30 mile pace for an hour. This then allows my harder days to be better. This is where the gains are made. My intervals aren't crazy fast, but they are longer than in the past. Sometimes 10 to 15min efforts, or 1min efforts but 30 times. I've also introduced more fartlek pace, where I will run faster and slower than race pace.

My biggest battle is finding time for recovery. My job as an FDI in Crickhowell means I spend most of the weekdays on my feet, doing a pretty physical job around the Brecon Beacons. This could be hiking, climbing, canoeing etc. A great job, but it is hard to motivate myself to train in the evening after 5 hours out on the hills. Plus every other week I will be camping out. This is usually a rest day, but still adds to fatigue. 
Lately, I've been using a heart rate variability app on my phone. At first I thought it was a gimmick. You place your finger over the phones camera and flash while it its measures HRV. After inputting data for 2 weeks and wearing HR strap in training it tells you how well recovered you are for the days training. I have found it pretty accurate when compared to my suunto watch and strap. The app provides all sorts of data to do with HR, sleep, lactate, VO2.

I also do lots of injury prevention. I try to do Olympic lifts for strength. 5 sets of 5 reps, but probably dont do enough. I use a vibrating foam roller that better stimulates recovery. I have been following Tom Brady's book on muscle pliability and using dynamic bodyweight movements and band work to lengthen the muscles. This increases pliability and works them through their whole range without having to deal with DOMs. I use compression socks when not training and special plantar fasciitis socks. Each evening I will do running specific stretches or yoga while watching TV. Mostly I follow Kelly Starratt movements.
Other things I concentrate on are recovery shakes, good nutrition and hydration - all are important to me. Usually I have a green smoothie in the morning after training then lots of healthy fats and dense nutrition foods. I use electrolyte tablets for hydration as water alone isn't good enough and doesn't work properly for me. I try to avoid bread and sugar and eat very little meat. I follow a plan by an American called Abel James - he has a good podcast and a book called the Wild Diet. In the morning I will train having fasted and have found intermittent fasting beneficial for training, recovery and managing energy levels.

I get most of my cross training from work, but will also swim and cycle when I need a break from running. I like to use Zwift on an indoor smart trainer set up with my road bike. This week I am visiting friends in Lisbon for some warmer weather training and also to change my environment for a bit. 

If you have any questions on anything I have mentioned please message me and I can send you more info. 

Thanks for reading.

Next up is the Vitality Big Half 01 Mar, London.

Comments