2016 Round up and into 2017

October

Standalone 10km
, first in 31.44 (+£100)

Fenland 10, first and pb of 52.35. Flat course around a foggy Fenland course. I entered on the day as I knew I was in pb shape and that the course would be quick without the usually Fenland winds. I was running well and at 2miles. I was running alone with only the lead car for company. The clock on the car meant I was literally racing the clock. I managed to stay strong and finish in a pb.

RAF v Eastern Counties and Cambridge Uni XC - 6th (had been ill)

Aircom XC champs Poland. The RAF team headed out with a strong field of runner to Malborg, Poland for the biannual XC fixture against Poland, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, and USA. The 10km course consisted of 5 fast laps around the castle, mainly in the moat, with one very low archway. This made it good for spectators and also to check position. Poland had a strong team, with two Olympians, one of who finished top European at the 2012 Olympics. I ran well and finished in 7th, behind Kallenburg and the majority of the polish team. The men's team finished in 2nd overall.

















November

National Relay champs, Mansfield. I made the A team of 4 runners to compete over a 5km XC course against the other top clubs in the country. I ran a competitive last leg. I started out fast, a bit too fast, but I wanted to stay on the heels of second place. I managed this for the first lap, but slowly lost places as the fast pace sapped the speed from my legs. I finished a respectable 6th, but was outside of the medals.

Uk cross challenge and Chiltern league, Milton Keynes, 32nd.

Cyprus 4 day international challenge. the RAF athletics tour this year was to Phapho, Cyprus. The team stayed together and competed for the overall win over the 4 consecutive days of racing. Day one consisted of a 6km time trial along the coast. Mike kallenburg finished in pole position with me 8 sec back. Day 2, was a point to point hill run over 11km. Mike and I broke away early on as we found our way up the steep uneven terrain. The scenary was amazing, but the hill was lung bursting. A gap formed around 8km and Mike finished at the hill top village 45sec ahead of me. Going into day 3, we was firmly in 1st and 2nd overall. The team was also in the pole position. Today was a long multi terrain half marathon, finishing on the beach. I ran conservative with the guy in 3rd and let mike go onto beating me by 2min in around 1hr 15min. Day 4. Mike had secured the yellow Jersey,but I was looking for the win in the Phaphos 10km. Neither new how our legs would respond after 3 days of racing. I did know mike had gone pretty hard on the half marathon. My legs stayed strong and I broke away around 5km to finish in 32.15. 2nd overall and first team. The following evening was a gala dinner, where we received our prizes. Free holiday for one for the winner and a GPS garmin watch for me.





Chiltern league, Luton 3rd. Behind Ian Kimpton (England team for marathon)

2016 pbs
10mile = 52.35
5mile = 26.02
3000m = 8.30
1mile = 4.21
1500 = 4.03

2017 races and targets

31 Dec, 2016 : Just won a local 10km race in Anderstorp. Won a BBQ and a pastry

Currently sat around the fire in a log cabin in Sweden, planning ahead to 2017.

HM (67min): Brighton (Feb) and Bath (Mar)
10km (30.30): Brighton (Apr)
5km (sub 15min)
Marathon (Sub 2.30): Edinburgh (May), potentially London (Apr)
50km (sub 3.05)

Comments