Update on last few months





On 20 May I went to get a fast 5 mile time at Blisworth 5  as part of the East Midlands League. It was a hillier race than I expected and a lot faster due to Toby Spencer (recent Bristol 10km winner). I managed a pb of 26.02min on an undulating course, but I am hoping to break 25min for the 5 mile this year. I finished 2nd and got a voucher which I have now spent on some XC running shoes.

Next race was the London Vitality 10km on 30 May, inc the British Championships. This was a RAF fixture, so I ran in my RAF vest, however I was put down as running for Bedford and County. Great race passing all the likes of Big Ben and running along the Strand. Touch competition with an ex European 10,000m medalist and current Scottish 5000m record holder in the field. I finished 21st in 31.40. A little down on the time I hoped for, but I was happy with the position. After seeing the results, I realised that 2 other Bedford runners had ran fast and finished high and after some calculation it was clear that we had finished 2nd overall and due £1000 in prize money to split between us. However, I was later to find that I was to be disqualified from the team result as I ran in my RAF colours and not the Bedford vest. A little disappointed as it would have also meant a silver team medal at the British 10km Championships. Will have to seek this next year.

Later that week I did my first race for Bedford in the 5km in a British League event at Bedford. I didn't have a good run and finished in 15.27 and 6th. Only 1sec off my pb, but a long way off my sub 15min aim and current form I felt I was in.

Emma and I then had a weeks holiday where we had planned to cycle about 200miles self supported alongside the Danube River. We began our trip in Passau, Germany and went through Austria (Linz, Vienna) and ended our trip in Bratislava, Slovenia.

Back to work, training and Emma's sister's wedding before heading off again for the next race. This time it was in Val d'Isere and was part of the Sky Running World Series. The race I entered was a vertical kilometer straight up mount Belvadere and back down on the ski gondolas. The race was very competitive with runners from multiple countries aiming to win the first prize of 2000 Euros and a BMW 2 Series being leased to them for 1 year. The race began at 1900 meters and at 1700. Runners were set off individually at 30sec intervals, with the more established runners going last. It was lung bursting from the gun and a running pace wasn't possible on a lot of the sections with a 50% gradient. Hands on the ground for a lot of the time, made running and balance difficulty. I finished at 2900 meters in 44min, which was only good enough for 24th place. No BMW for me. Those used to these events could be spotted from a distance as they had a good running rhythm with the use of hiking poles to propel them up the scree. I'm glad I gave it a go, but a few more mountains to practice on was needed.

4 Days back from this I was due to race a 1500 meters for the RAF in the Inter Services Track and Field Championships at RAF Cosford on 13 Jul. I had been training well over some short intervals but had not done a 1500m since 2003 and had a pb of 4.17min. I have been used to 12 laps of the track so the race was a quick blur of just under 4 laps. I held on for 3 laps and tried to come past an Army runner for 3rd place, but he just beat me on the line. No medal but a massive pb of 4.03.88min to take away and give me a knew target of breaking 4min for the 1500m

Next up is the Olympic Park 10km on 17 Jul.


Comments