Planning for the 2021 comback

The spring weather is on the way and the current lockdown is coming to an end. Thoughts are now going to future races. There is so much I want to do. Since starting last Aug on the elite athlete scheme, I have been very limited on racing, training groups and travel. The same as other athletes I know, but when you have been given the opportunity to train full time, it can be very frustrating.

 I can't wait to get back to all the road races I've missed, plus getting a few trail races in. I even may do a track race or two this summer. But what to do first?
I've banked some good winter mileage and sessions by myself. My Strava tells me I've averaged around 70miles a week for the last year. I hope to capitalise on some of this fitness at the Wrexham Elite only Marathon on the 25 Apr. This will set a good benchmark, so I can plan the rest of the year's training.

One of my lockdown projects was to convert my Mercedes Sprinter van, so I can do some travelling around the UK. It is now a fully established mobile training camp! I plan initially to use it to travel around the UK to compete in different races. I can take myself away to a national park and fully concentrate on some training in a new environment. Once travel restrictions have lifted, I may even take it around Europe for racing.

Another aim for the year is to get away on a training camp. Ideally, I would like to go to the US, such as Flagstaff or Boulder. I may have to leave that until next year and instead look at Font Romeu, St Moritz or a Portugal camp with England Athletics.

Goals for distances on the road include running sub 24min for 5miles, sub 30min 10km, and sub 65min for the half marathon. I may do a 5000m on the track to sharpen up my speed for these races. 



I'm looking forward to the return of RAF races, and will also target any national championship races and England selection races on the road. This may include some master's events now that I'm in the v35 category. The 2022 Commonwealth games marathon selection criteria has been released and now provides a good target to try and achieve 2.14 in the marathon.

The end of the year also sees the World Trail running championships in Thailand, and the World 50km road in Taiwan. Maybe a good winter target to set myself!

Follow the journey.


Comments